Food + Blog= Love

Food + Blog= Love...Don't be fooled by the title.. Guys are welcome to view this blog too... This blog is written by a girl so obviously these recipes are girl friendly... Also, most of my posts will be healthy recipes YAY!! But every now and then I will throw in one of my favs! Hey, you gotta live a little!! It's OK to splurge and your man will love ya for it!

Feel free to share your recipes too! I am ALWAYS looking for new ideas!!

Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Orzo "Paella"

Wow!  This was such a good dish!  I was pleasantly surprised and it was pretty easy to make, which is always a bonus to me!  I loved the shrimp/chicken mix.  Happy Wednesday!  Enjoy!


Makes:  4 servings with leftovers
Prep Time:  10 min
Cook time:  22 min


3/4 lb large frozen shrimp, cleaned, shelled and thawed tails on
*I used 1 lb of shrimp and took tails off
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon olive oil
3 1/2 cups chicken broth
*I use the low sodium chicken broth
2 cups water
1/4 teaspoon turmeric
1 pound whole wheat orzo
* I did 12 oz and it was the perfect amount
1/2 cup frozen green peas
1/2 small onion, finely chopped
2-4 chicken thighs, cut into 1 inch chunks
*I cut 3 thighs into strips
1/4 cup roasted red pepper, cut into thin strips
1/4 cup flat leaf parsley, chopped



  1. Preheat the oven to 425 degrees.  Place the 1st 4 ingredients & 1 tablespoon olive oil in a large ziplock bag
  2. In a medium pot, bring chicken broth & 2 cups water to a boil.  Add turmeric & orzo; boil for 6 min.  Drain, reserving 3/4 cup of cooking liquid.  Place frozen peas in the broth & let sit.
  3. Heat remaining 1 teaspoon olive oil in a large ovenproof saute pan.  Add onion & cook until translucent.  Add shrimp and cook for 3 minutes.  Add chicken until cooked mostly through.  Add drained orzo to pan.  Pour the peas & reserved liquid over orzo, & stir.  Add chicken.  Lay red pepper strips on top.  Bake for 10 minutes.  Top with parsley & serve.

Nutrition Facts:  
408 calories, 27g protein, 57g carbs, 7g fat (.9 saturated), 14g fiber



No comments:

Post a Comment